Second Alpha release of Ubuntu 17.10 is out. The There are various flavour in the release that are Ubuntu MATE, Ubuntu Bungie, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, and Ubuntu Kylin.
Ubuntu MATE 17.10 Alpha 2 has a Munity layout for the unity lovers that makes it noticeable.
Ubuntu 17.10 Alpha 2 For Opt-in Flavors – Ubuntu MATE 17.10 Alpha 2 Munity Development release
In june, the first Alpha release of Ubuntu 17.10 was made available with some flavors i.e.Lubuntu, Kubuntu, and Ubuntu Kylin. After Ubuntu 17.10 Alpha 2 is released & more flavors have been added i.e. Ubuntu MATE, Ubuntu Budgie. The download links are available for you in the last.
The default flavor of Ubuntu is in final beta release. It works on Kernel 4.11. The major highlights of Ubuntu 17.10 Alpha 2 can be seen in Ubuntu MATE.
Why Ubuntu MATE 17.10 Alpha 2 So Special?
There are various options in MATE Panel layouts.
The developers of Ubuntu MATE have called the versions as the super Alpha ever made. The biggest change in the release are the multiple improvements in the panel layouts. The feedback gathered from the various sources helped the developers to get better look & different workflows for each panel.
To use all these layouts , you need to open your MATE Tweak tools & find different tools in the Panel Section. You can also do custom changes & create your own panel.
May be you like unity desktop & sad over its loss, then you should be using Ubuntu MATE’s Mutiny layout.
I personally installed Ubuntu MATE 17.10 Alpha on one of my secondary PC & tried it to look as a different aspect.
I installed Ubuntu MATE 17.10 Alpha on a secondary PC and tried it out to take a look at these layouts. So, let me show you their glimpse one by one:
Tons of other improvements in Ubuntu MATE 17.10
In Ubuntu MATE 17.10 , the Global Menu support is avaialable in Munity , cupertino & Contemporary layouts & will be much improved. THis can be activated using MATE Tweak tool. It also supports GTK and Qt applications just like egular Unity
The Mutiny, Cupertino, and Contemporary users can also use Heads-up Display (HUD) feature, which had been a highlight for the Unity 7 users. Using this, you can search and run menu-bar commands quickly.
The default indications in Ubuntu MATE are Optimus , bluetooth , power , Messages , Network , sound & session.
As we must keep in mind that Ubuntu MATE 17.10 Alpha 2 is a development release. So do not install this on your primary PC or work computer. As there will be so many bugs which wont let you work in a stable environment.
Mutiny looks like Unity 7
Traditional layout is default
Ubuntu 17.10 Release Schedule
- Alpha 1 for opt-in flavors — June 29th
- Alpha 2 for opt-in flavors — July 27th
- Feature Freeze, Debian Import Freeze — August 24th
- Beta 1 for opt-in flavors — August 31st
- Final Beta — September 28th
- Kernel Freeze — October 5th
- Final Freeze, Release Candidate — October 12th
- Final Release Ubuntu 17.10 — October 19th
- Ubuntu 17.10 Alpha 2 Download
The download link for the Ubuntu 17.10 MATE Alpha 2 & other variations can be downloaded from the links given.
- Ubuntu MATE 17.10 Alpha 2 :- http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-mate/releases/artful/alpha-2/
- Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Alpha 2 :- http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-budgie/releases/artful/alpha-2/
- Kubuntu 17.10 Alpha 2 :- http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/artful/alpha-2/
- Ubuntu Kylin 17.10 Alpha 2 :- http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntukylin/releases/artful/alpha-2/
- Lubuntu 17.10 Alpha 2 :- http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/artful/alpha-2/
- Lubuntu Next 17.10 Alpha 2 :- http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu-next/releases/artful/alpha-2/
If you have anything else to add, then please write a comment to let us know. Your suggestions are awaited.